Get our newsletters
History Lives

History Lives: James Michener

February 3, 2023, will be the 116th anniversary of James Michener’s birth. He had what was undoubtedly a hardscrabble childhood and yet had fond memories of his hometown.

The Union Horse Company of Doylestown Township and Vicinity

The Union Horse Company was founded circa 1835 at the Turk’s Head Hotel “for detecting and apprehending horse thieves and other …

Budco Theaters

The founder of Budco Theaters was Claude “Buddy” Schlanger (1924-1987).

History Lives: Doylestown Bypass

In the postwar era between 1950 and 1960, the population of Bucks County more than doubled. While lower Bucks experienced the largest growth, Doylestown also saw a steady increase …

History Lives: Palace of Sweets

The Palace of Sweets was located in the northeast corner of Lenape Hall, in the center of Doylestown. The store featured homemade candies “made carefully in our own kitchen” …

A chicken farm dubbed “Hentown” in its former life, Peddler’s Village was founded in 1962 by Earl Jamison, who transformed the rundown barn and chicken coops into a charming countryside …

The village of Lahaska was born when the Buckingham Friends Meeting House was established by English Quakers in 1701. Over time, the town grew to include 15 houses, a store, a hotel, a coach factory, …

Beacon Hill, at over 500 feet elevation, is one of the highest points in Bucks County. In the 18th century, scouts from Washington’s army lit signal fires on …

History Lives: Doylestown Waterworks

In 1851, a proactive borough council set about the task of supplying water to the citizens of Doylestown from a central source. A mill property located in the southeastern …

HISTORY LIVES: Miss Lucie R. Price

Lucie Price (1876-1956) began her library career in Doylestown as an of the Melinda Cox Free Library on the northeast corner of East Court and Broad Streets. On May 4, 1917, the Doylestown Daily …

History Lives: Patton Maps

Patton Maps. Alfred Patton (1897-1982) started his map business in his house at Patton’s Corner, the junction of Swamp Road and North Main Street in Cross Keys. In 1957 he incorporated as Alfred B …

History Lives: Doylestown’s First Ambulances

[Photo gallery]

In August 1915, the Intelligencer reported that the Dr. Oliver P. James Memorial Ambulance [a rebuilt Packard] had responded to about 10 calls since being presented to the borough. “John O. …

Youth Fishing Derby

[Photo gallery]

Doylestown’s youth fishing tradition at the borough dam began ca.1952. By 1967 the event was being administered by the Doylestown Youth Recreation Council and there were …

Russ Thomas

From 1928 until 1956, the home at 140 E. State St. in Doylestown was owned by Allen Russell Thomas and his wife, Helen. Russ was a reporter and sports editor of the Daily Intelligencer for 40 years. …

Daylight Saving Time

[Photo gallery]

It was called the Standard Time Act of 1918; the part providing for DST was called the Daylight Saving Time Act. After World War I ended, Daylight Saving Time was repealed with a Congressional …

Cataract surgery

[Photo gallery]

In 1815, 39-year-old Doylestown attorney, Francis B. Shaw (ca. 1776-1832) reported that he had been “deprived of sight by Cataract” for over two years. He was forced to abandon his law …

International Women’s Day

[Photo gallery]

Margaret Mead (1901-1978) was born in Philadelphia and raised in Doylestown. She was a pioneer in the field of anthropology whose study of primitive cultures gave Americans an insight into their own …

Presidents’ Day

[Photo gallery]

Presidents’ Day is a federal holiday celebrated on the third Monday of February to honor all persons who served as President of the United States. The day is also a state holiday in most states …

Valentine’s Day 1934

[Photo gallery]

Valentine’s Day 1934. Rotary Club Holds Valentine’s Day Party read the heading of an article in the Intelligencer of Feb. 16, 1934. “The Rotary Club of Doylestown held a …

Cudjo and Jo

[Photo gallery]

Much of the land that became Doylestown was once owned by two former slaves, Cudjo and Jo. Jeremiah Langhorne came from England and settled on a great plantation in Middletown (Langhorne) in 1682. A …

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next »
Currently viewing stories posted within the past 2 years.
For all older stories, please use our advanced search.

X