“Doylestown to Have Sears Roebuck Store” proclaimed the headline in the July 11, 1940, edition of the Bucks County Times. The store soon opened in the building at 40 West State St. (owned by the Kolbe estate and once the home of the Clymer Store).
The new Sears store was a boon to both town residents and the surrounding countryside, selling merchandise ranging from ladies’ dresses to plumbing and heating supplies. In 1948 the store expanded with new departments for homewares, work clothing, building materials, toys and floor coverings.
Nationally, the Sears and Roebuck chain of stores was in its heyday in 1960, and that year the Doylestown store moved to the new Doylestown Shopping Center on North Main Street. After 20 years in this location, Sears moved out of town and into the huge anchor store at the Montgomery Mall in North Wales.