All the children of Doylestown for many years attended the Doylestown Borough School at the corner of East Court and Broad streets. But as the elementary population grew, additional classrooms and facilities were needed for younger students and their teachers.
In 1959, on 15 acres (near the site of the 19th-century Linden Female Seminary), the borough’s first “elementary only” school was built. Marion Franco-Ferreria became principal of the new Linden Elementary School. Student population continued to grow, necessitating additions to the original building in 1968, 1990, and 1998. Today just over 400 students from kindergarten through sixth grade attend the school on the east side of town at 480 Linden Avenue.
A growing population on the west side of Doylestown led to the construction of a second elementary in 1966. Named for the borough and the family who established the village in 1745, Doyle Elementary School was located at 260 N. West St., adjacent to the Borough Community Field (today’s William E. Neis Borough Park). Principal Donald McClintock opened the new school; and again, elementary students increased in number, requiring the expansion of the building in 1968 and 1990 with a complete renovation in 1999. The current student body of Doyle Elementary numbers approximately 480 kindergarten through sixth grade.