The Pennsylvania Department of Health and Department of Education today jointly recommended that pre-k–12 school and recreational youth sports be postponed until at least Jan. 1, 2021, to protect children and teens from COVID-19.
The administration is providing this strong recommendation and not an order or mandate. As with deciding whether students should return to in-person classes, remote learning or a blend of the two this fall, school administrators and locally elected school boards should make decisions on sports.
Highlights of the recommendation to pause youth sports until Jan. 1, 2021:
- Applies to team and individual, school and non-school recreational youth sports
- Includes competitions, intramural play and scrimmages
- Continue conditioning, drills and other training activities on an individual basis
- Does not apply to collegiate and professional sports
- Gathering limits remain unchanged - no more than 25 persons may gather indoors and 250 outdoors
The administration is updating existing sports guidance to reflect this recommendation.