St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Quakertown held its closing service Jan. 13.
The church building at 19 S. 10th St., dates back to the 1860s, and was the result of two separate congregations, one Lutheran and one Reformed, jointly seeking contributions for a church building.
From 1870 to 1895, St. John’s, along with St. Matthew’s, Perkasie, and St. Paul’s, Applebachsville, formed Keller’s Parish.
In 1893, the Lutherans and the Reformed dissolved their joint ownership of the building and the Lutherans purchased the Reformed share.
In 1899 stained glass windows were installed and many building improvements were made. A parsonage and an education building were added during the first half of the 20th century.