Get our newsletters

history 8-4

Posted

The Pugh Dungan House. Pugh Dungan, a member of the Doylestown town council, purchased a lot at 33 W. Court St. in 1832 and built a house on it in the federal style. A 2½ story, five bay, stucco brick and fieldstone dwelling, it featured a single bay portico supported by Doric columns. A two-story rear porch was added in the mid- to late-19th century. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

According to local historian, Wilma Reezer, long-term owners of the Pugh Dungan House from 1832 to 1968, included the Pugh Dungan family, Oliver Lunn, the Reuben Scheetz family, the Wynne James family, and Dr. William Fluck.

Perhaps the most colorful of these owners was local lawyer Wynne James. In 1897 James purchased the old Pugh Dungan stone house and grounds for $4,000. Mrs. “Mai” James was known for her musical soirees, and among her supper party guests in the 1920s was movie star Nelson Eddy. During the Great Depression, mounting debt and other problems plagued real estate speculator James; and the house went to sheriff’s sale in 1931, as a result of suit brought by the Doylestown Building and Loan Association.

The home was eventually converted into offices and is presently the site of the Marshall Financial Group and the law offices of Joseph D. Visco.

###


X