The Friends of the Delaware Canal have embarked on their 34th annual Canal Walk 2022 in which they will walk almost all of the 58.9 miles of the Delaware Canal.
Nearly the entire course of the canal is being explored over six consecutive Saturdays. Guided walking tours started at the Forks of the Delaware River in Easton on Sept. 24, and will end at Riverfront Park in Historic Bristol Borough on Oct. 29.
The Delaware Canal is the 2022 PA Trail of the Year.
Hikers and walkers will have the opportunity to learn about the area’s past and future while taking in the autumn scenery of the canal and Delaware River corridor. Jeff Connell, a board member of the Friends of the Delaware Canal, will lead the group with stories about the Delaware Canal highlighting sites of historic and environmental significance along the route. This year’s Canal Walk 2022 will be a bit shorter than the traditional 58.9 miles because of some towpath closures along the way.
The five remaining segments of the walk are:
• Oct. 1: Mueller’s Store Easton to Ringing Rocks Trailhead, Upper Black Eddy – 6.5 miles
• Oct. 8: Delaware Canal Park Office, Upper Black Eddy to No. 2 Bridge, 2 Bridge Lane, Point Pleasant (use Pipersville for GPS) – 7.8 miles
• Oct. 15: Virginia Forrest Recreation Area, New Hope to Buckstone Farm, Washington Crossing – 9.8 miles
• Oct. 22: Buckstone Farm, Washington Crossing to Quality Inn, Morrisville – 9.8 miles
• Oct. 29: Quality Inn, Morrisville to Bristol Riverfront Park, Bristol – 9.3 miles
The walks begin at 9 a.m. on each Saturday. Participants are invited to walk on any or all of the Saturdays and are asked to bring a light lunch and beverage on each day. Transportation back to the starting point will be accomplished by carpooling.
The walks are free; however, donations are welcome. Preregistration is requested and can be found on the Friends of the Delaware Canal website at fodc.org/event/2021-annual-canal-walk/.
For information about Canal Walk 2022 and other Friends’ activities, call 215-862-2021, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit .fodc.org.