Get our newsletters

Cops: Churchville man who killed ex-girlfriend told police he “lost it”


A Churchville man has been arrested and charged with stabbing to death his former girlfriend at her Lower Makefield home Friday afternoon.

Bucks County District Attorney Jen Schorn said Trevor Christopher Weigel killed 19-year-old Jaden Battista on Waterford Road. A Lower Makefield police officer reportedly witnessed the stabbing.

Weigel, who is in the hospital recovering from stab wounds police say were self-inflicted, will  eventually be held without bail at Bucks County Correctional Facility, charged with criminal homicide, burglary, possession of an instrument of crime and related offenses.

According to court documents, Weigel was apprehended following a foot chase that began on Waterford Road and ended on I-295, where an officer’s body camera reportedly captured Weigel saying he’d “lost it” upon learning the victim was cheating on him.

At about 2:15 p.m., court documents stated, Battista was at home and speaking with a friend on FaceTime when she reportedly told the friend that Weigel had arrived at the home, banged on her door and then gotten inside via a first-floor window. The friend then heard a commotion and the muffled sound of Battista’s voice. The call was then terminated.

Around the same time, police received a burglary report at the same location. A witness reportedly told police they’d seen a man entering the house through a window.

Lower Makefield Officer Robert Kennedy arrived at the scene and, according to court documents, saw a man “chase after a female, tackle her to the ground and begin stabbing her in the upper portion of her body.”

The man fled as Kennedy approached the pair, and the officer then began performing first aid on the injured woman, who was pronounced dead at the hospital a short time later.

Kennedy said he saw the suspect stab himself in the neck as he ran away.

Meanwhile, Lower Makefield police Sgt. Brian Holder arrived and chased the man, catching up to him on I-295, where the officer used his taser to subdue the suspect, then reportedly identified as Weigel. A bloody knife was recovered along the route of the chase.

Weigel was taken to the hospital, where he underwent surgery for his injuries and was arraigned Sunday.

Join our readers whose generous donations are making it possible for you to read our news coverage. Help keep local journalism alive and our community strong. Donate today.