Get our newsletters

Central Bucks support staff wage hike vote coming Sept. 12


In a recent announcement, Central Bucks School District Superintendent Abram Lucabaugh said the district is proposing “significant wage increases” for its support staff.

The district and the support staff’s union, Central Bucks Educational Support Professional Association, reached an agreement that will, if approved by the school board, increase bus drivers, confidential secretaries and support staff pay by a minimum of 5%.

“These wage increases, which have a cumulative value of $4 million across the duration of these contracts and agreements, will enable employees to enter and progress across our salary scales at market value,” said Lucabaugh, in a statement. “Our auxiliary employees will also see increases in the coming weeks.”

While starting rates will increase by at least 5%, rates in some categories will exceed 10% over current salaries, the district said. The hikes are in addition to already existing annual pay increases, which were negotiated earlier this year.

Under the new agreement, a staff nurse will earn $26.50 per hour, which represents the recently agreed to 2.5% increase plus an additional 7.5% hike, representing an overall 10% pay raise. The increase is retroactive to July 1, 2023, the district said.

A bus driver with five years of service will receive $27.36 hourly, effective July 1, 2023 and rise to $28.04 beginning July 1, 2024.

Other employees, ranging from administrative assistants to custodians will see pay increases, as well.

The proposed pact comes after some minority members of the school board and members of the public criticized July’s 40% pay raise for the superintendent, comparing it to the 2.5% increase for support staff.

The school board is expected to vote on the new wages at its Sept. 12 meeting.

Join our readers whose generous donations are making it possible for you to read our news coverage. Help keep local journalism alive and our community strong. Donate today.